Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Do i need any license?
If your product incorporates data from the UMLS®, you must have a license.
What can i use HaVoc for?
HaVoc a simple REST API to quickly build smart health apps powered by health/biomedical vocabularies.
- Get all synonyms, abbreviations of a medical term: “CHF” => congestive heart failure, heart failure and so on. Access over 12.8 million synonym terms.
- Perform class based queries, e.g. get all drug brand names for all antibiotics.
- Create an “autosuggest” dropdown for disease names or symptoms or even gene names.
- Get related terms, e.g. get all body parts/anatomical organs related to a disease.
- Translate/Map codes between 190 biomedical vocabularies and across languages, e.g. Spanish to English and vice versa.
- Roll you own internal vocabulary and perform all the operations above.
- Use Docker instances to create a load balanced cluster setup.
- Battle tested in production use in several Healthcare web apps, big data applications using Solr, Elastic Search and Apache Spark.
Can I get support to get this API set up for us?
Absolutely! Just shoot us an email at email@example.com
Why did you create this API?
How is it different from the UMLS Terminology Services?
Our goal with HaVOC - Health Vocabulary REST API was to create a developer friendly API that abstracts-away a lot of UMLS specific notions to support rapid app development. The UTS provides a full-fledged web services based interface. Additionally, this API server can be hosted and managed locally.